Ampersand: Visual Introduction
content creation: Shelley Zansler
Either Practicum can be used to complete the English for the World Accredited Certificate or to complete a Practicum experience for International TEFL Academy, Peace Corps, CIEE, etc.
|Choose Your Quest.|
|Quest of the Proficiency Coach||Quest of the Classroom Facilitator|
|Enroll in a Practicum.|
|Classroom Confidence Practicum (CCP)
|Proficiency Navigator Practicum (PNP)
|Deepen Your Proficiency.|
|Achieve Minimal Competence.|
|Upon completion of either Quest, you may be eligible for paid contracts specific to that area of expertise as well as further progression in the Interculturalist Guild.|
|The full EFTC Apprenticeship requires completion of both Quests.|
Your ability to support an English language learner to improve their language and cultural skills has little to do with your ability to speak English and more to do with building trust, providing motivation, and understanding how languages are learned, by whom, and for what purposes.
Intercultural skills cannot be fully transmitted through explanation, but they can be learned through practice. Practice is enhanced and enriched through guidance and support. This is why we call our work as Interculturalists “facilitation of language & cultural skills development,” rather than “teaching”.
To facilitate consciously means not only to constantly improve your technique but also to expand your self-awareness and cultural competencies. It means working with the people you are working with, in the ways they need to be worked with.
All of our Interculturalist training programs will help you develop these skills in a supportive & challenging multi-cultural, multi-lingual environment. In our flagship English for the Community Apprenticeship, you can learn to effectively facilitate multi-ethnic, multi-level groups in community-based settings; or go deeper with individual language learners and help them chart their course to proficiency. You can do both if you choose. In any case, you will gain experience, improve your leadership skills, expand your worldview, make life-long relationships, and help to create a more inclusive, connected world.
However, each journey is unique, so there is a path for you to explore no matter what your interest.
Classroom Assistant is for those who are mostly interested in volunteering with our community partners and have very little responsibility other than showing up and being friendly. Come and hang out with us a little while, demonstrate that you’re reliable, and then show up regularly.
Classroom Confidence Practicum (CCP) is our Junior Apprenticeship for basic classroom management, code-switching, social equity, and language/cultural skills development facilitation. CCP is for budding Interculturalists who:
- Have only a short amount of time and plan to go overseas or begin classroom work soon
- Need a short practicum for an online or other training program
- Plan to take on facilitation duties with just one of our community partners and are looking for basic skills to help them along the way
- Experienced teachers who want to work with us and want to become familiar with our techniques and pedagogy
Proficiency Navigator Practicum (PNP) is an alternative Junior Apprenticeship track. This is a short practicum designed to help budding Coaches:
- Get comfortable working 1:1 with Learners
- Assess the needs of an individual and select techniques that work for various language levels
- Become familiar with the concept of a Proficiency Action Plan, which is a personalized plan to chart a Learner’s course towards their language and personal goals
You could take either the CCP or the PNP to complete the EFTC, and if you want to take both, you will get an extraordinarily well rounded apprenticeship that develops your ability to work in groups and 1:1 with a high degree of skill.
English for the Community Apprenticeship (EFTC) is our Apprenticeship for fully developing foundational classroom management, code-switching, social equity, and language/cultural skills development facilitation. EFTC is for committed Interculturalists who want to:
- Become competent classroom facilitators
- Earn a strong recommendation for English teaching or other reasons
- Fully employ their creativity in the multi-ethnic classrooms and communities
- Be a force for cultural change which includes work across ethnic and racial boundaries
- Work through their own biases and prejudices
- Use their privileges for good
- Develop a broad set of skills for navigating all sorts of intercultural situations
- Strengthen organizational, programmatic, and administrative skills that will serve them for the rest of their life
- Have expedited referral to paid teaching options through P-P-T’s local and global networks
- Continue to develop their intercultural expertise with P-P-T towards profit sharing or ownership
English for the World Accredited TEFL Certificate Program is a fully accredited training program for people who want to get certified to teach English as a foreign language and gain a ton of hands-on experience at the same time. This TEFL certificate program requires one of our 30-hour practicum programs above. It’s ideal for Interculturists who want to:
- Earn a TEFL certificate
- Apply teaching theory and gain real experience and confidence leading English classes
- Develop relationships with learners and facilitators in the local community and around the world
- Establish themselves in a supportive community where they can continue developing their skills while making plans to teach abroad
Fees and Waivers
Currently, Beta Testing Waivers and other fee reductions are in effect and may change at any time, in addition to our regular waivers and assistantships listed below. Enroll today and ask us about current incentives!**
|Stages||Stage0 Audition||Stage1 Instructor/Tutor||Stage1 Instructor/Tutor|
|Observation||4 hours||4 hours||4 hours|
|Teaching Practice||16 hours||26 hours||26 hours|
|Coursework and Activities||None||5 hours||130 hours|
|Coaching and Support||No||Yes||Yes|
|Credential||None||Practicum TESOL Certificate||Accredited TESOL Certificate|
Tuition Waivers and Assistantships
Tuition waivers and Assistantships are available. Unless otherwise stated, enrollment fees are not waived.
CCP and PNP Waivers
- Go Forth & Teach Practicum Waiver – Receive a full practicum tuition waiver if you have completed or are currently enrolled in a TESOL or TEFL program.
- Bridge Boomers – Receive a 50% discount toward the CCP or PNP if you’re over 55 and pay in advance.
- Voces – A 75% discount, paid in advance, is available to immigrants, refugees, Indigenous, or of Afro-descendent backgrounds interested in completing the CCP or PNP.
- EFTC Installment Plan – Break payments up into three installments to be paid at key points in the EFTC. Start the Apprenticeship with just the enrollment fee, then pay $330 at the Practitioner stage, $330 at the Facilitator stage, and the final $410 to graduate.
- EFTC Cash Upfront – Use cash or check to pay for the EFTC in advance and get a %15 discount. We’ll take care of the enrollment fee, too, so you get the full Apprenticeship for $935.
- Bridge Boomers – Receive a 50% discount toward the EFTC if you’re over 55 and pay in advance.
- Voces – A 75% discount, paid in advance, is available to EFTC Aprendices who are immigrants, refugees, Indigenous, or of Afro-descendent backgrounds.
- Carry On, Then – A 50% tuition discount is available to those who have completed or are currently enrolled in a TESOL program that requires a practicum. Tuition must be paid in advance.
EFTC Full Tuition Waivers
- Wood and Water EFTC Working Apprenticeship Tuition Waiver – Complete a 100-hour internship with P-P-T . Receive an EFTC tuition waiver and some extra experience while you’re at it.
- In through the ‘Corps Door EFTC Waiver – Past or present volunteers from Americorps, Jesuit Volunteers, and similar programs can receive a full tuition waiver for the EFTC Apprenticeship.
- Your Work is Our Work EFTC Community Service Waiver – Spend 100 verified hours volunteering with an approved community partner any time in your life (or while you are training with us), and your service counts as cash with us.
- Praxis EFTC Undergraduate Waiver– Any enrolled undergraduate can Assist 20 classes after their 4 Shadowing experiences and receive a full tuition waiver for the EFTC Apprenticeship.
- Bridge Builder ETFC Institutional Tuition Waiver – If you’re working on your thesis or major project work, get an EFTC tuition waiver with advisor/supervisor approval.
We operate on a cash or sweat model and do not offer income-based discounts. Everyone’s got something valuable to give, and all transformation requires sacrifice. Ready to go?