Take A Photo Of It
One way to assure that we are engaging in less risky behavior as teachers/tutors or as curriculum and program designers is to take our own photos. A photo itself is generally considered a transformative medium. Take a photo of a McDonald’s sign and use it all you want!
What About Other People Using P-P-T’s Stuff?
Many aspects of using things P-P-T creates are laid out in our Research policy.
Here’s the short version: People-Places-Things offers Intercultural Communication Training & Services. We want people to communicate more effectively with each other.
We use a bridge metaphor to describe what we do. Like all metaphors, it illuminates aspects of what it describes, and distorts other aspects. Still, we try.
For people with significant skills & experience with a particular language/culture (a.k.a. “Native Speakers”, “Fluent”, “Culturally Competent”, “Experienced Cultural Navigators”, “Longtimers”) – we are training them to build intercultural “bridges”. We call them “Interculturalists”, “Facilitators”, “Attachés”, “Bridge Builders”, “Practitioners” – “Teachers” is convenient but problematic for many reasons, so we try to limit that use.
We show those who are less experienced/skilled or on the margins of a particular language/culture (a.k.a. “Non Native Speakers”, “Language Learners/ELLs”, “Students”, “Newcomers”, “Outsiders”, “Foreigners”) how to walk across those bridges to get where they want to go. We train them to use a language or navigate a culture.
Here’s what we want you to pay us for:
- Practitioner/Interculturalist Training (showing how to build “bridges” – apprenticeship/professional development)
- Language & Culture Navigation Skills Development (showing learners how to use the language & navigate the culture – classes & excursions)
- General Language & Cultural Navigator Curriculum/Materials (a blueprint/plan and manufactured materials for a “bridge” for commonly recurring situations)
- Customized Language & Cultural Navigator Curriculum/Materials (individualized blueprints/plans and manufactured materials for specific situations)
- Program Design & Implementation (designing a custom “bridge” for your specific community or organization – including logistics, curriculum, and implementation)
- “Being the Bridge” (interpretation & translation services/training; intercultural consulting; workshops; matching services)
Here’s what we don’t want you to pay us for:
- Techniques – any technique or activity you learn from us, adapt & use freely! Give us a call when you want new ones.