In Language Learning, There Is
No One Size Fits All
Everyone learns differently. We have different language acquisition goals, for different reasons, within different time-lines, and with wildly different past and present language and cultural experiences. Proficiency Planning is a model for short, medium, and long-term motivation in language learning which considers all these variables. We work with you develop an individualized Proficiency Action Plan that is right for you, and your fluency and literacy objectives. It is
- Income Adjusted
Developing fluency in a language requires a lot of listening and interacting with other people. You’re going to need support and motivation along the way, and P-P-T and our Compas are there for you. We’re like a personal trainer for your language goals.
The Pasarela Proficiency Plan is designed for English speaking Americans to work with their cultural strengths, needs, and lifestyles to get serious about developing language proficiency. It also builds cross-cultural bridges between real people. P-P-T can support you in making the connection to native speakers in your community that you will need if you want to develop your fluency skills. We don’t just want you to understand language- we want you to use it, too!
Developing an individualized Proficiency Action Plan
Step 1: Is This Right For You?
If you’re committed to meeting your Spanish (or other) language goals, meeting and speaking with native speakers, immersing yourself in a different culture whenever you’re able, and likely spending some time outside of your comfort zone, then you are ready for Pasarela Proficiency Planning. We want to work with you and help to make a plan that fits your budget, goals and timelines. Please contact us!
Step 2: Consultation and Plan Development
Once we’ve made an initial connection with you, we will set a time for a 1 hour consultation. During this time, there will be a brief assessment and we will ask a lot of questions, to get a sense of your skill, your background, resources, priorities, objectives and timelines, and gain insight into your learning style and motivations. Some of the questions we will be asking:
- Is fluency or literacy more important to you?
- Why do you want to develop your skills in another language?
- How would you describe your literacy and your fluency?
- How fluent would you like to be?
- How long do you have to reach your desired level of fluency?
- How much time do you have to devote to practice on a weekly basis?
- How much money are you willing or able to spend on private practice, travel or classroom learning during your fluency development period?
- Have you ever lived in a country where English is not spoken? Would you like to?
- Do you have regular interactions with non-native English speakers?
With all this information, and with your input and insight, we will work together to create an Individual Proficiency Plan for your Spanish language goals.
A basic plan is only $30, and typically lasts for 6 months, depending on your goals and timelines. Further pricing details, as well as add-ons and specials are at the bottom of the page.
Included in this plan, and an essential piece of some people’s proficiency development, is matching you with a Guía Cultural- your Spanish-speaking practice partner!
Step 3: Getting matched with a GuÍa Cultural
Language is a social skill- you have to practice it with other people!
Developing your fluency requires meaningful interactions with other fluent speakers over time. Almost anyone who has developed oral fluency in another language will tell you that. It requires a lot of listening, a lot of patience, and a lot of repetition. It’s like learning to dance.
There are close to 150,000 Spanish speakers in Oregon, and yet it’s difficult to find a conversation partner. We connect you with friendly Spanish speakers to practice with.
A Guía Cultural is somewhere between a tutor and a tour guide. The goal is to support your development where you’re at – from absolute beginner to highly proficient. We train them to tailor your practice towards your specific goals, and support them with fresh and engaging ideas and material for your practice.
Guías set their own hourly prices in three levels of expertise. Many of our Guías are experienced tutors or teachers and also have developed fluency in English.
To learn more about Guías Culturales, click here.
Proficiency Action Plan Pricing Details:
- Help with setting up electronic reminders
- Accountability Buddy
- Text Reminders
- 3 min Phone Check In
- Complimentary Drop in Check Ins “P-P-T Connect”
Plan Revision or Renewal
- 1 Complimentary Individualized Proficiency Plan Revision (after 2 weeks) add/remove/sub services with no refunds
- Each additional revision or renewal – $20
Add – Ons & Ongoing Deals
- Resource Page: Open to All
- Referral to Language Schools: House Pricing
- Guías Culturales Tutor Matching: $10 list fee waived with an active Proficiency Action Plan
- Guía Cultural Hourly Session Rate: Guía sets their rates – click here for more details
- Personal Intercultural Consulting: 10% discount
- Roommate & Homestay Matching: available for people with Proficiency Action Plans
- Discounts on Spanish Services
- Interpretation: Guía sets their rate or 10% discount (subject to availability & skills required)
- Translation: Guía sets their rate or 10% discount (subject to availability & skills required)
- Editing/Proofreading: Guía sets their rate or 10% discount (subject to availability & skills required)
- Accompaniment: Guía sets their rate or 10% discount (subject to availability & skills required)
If you’re interested in beginning personalized language practice in Spanish and would like more information, please contact us!
And if you’re ready to pay for your Proficiency Action Plan now, click on the button below. Please feel free to contact us first – this is for people who are serious about developing their language skills!